Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jer3miah

Oh wow, I haven't written on this blog in so long. Lately the blog has pretty much turned into video clips from things that I think are cool -- so I decided I will continue along that thread with the current blog post.

The Book of Jer3miah is awesome. It is an online show co-created by a former student of mine (Jared, can I say that? You were in my Doc history class.) at BYU. From what I have seen and read, the purpose of the show was to play around with narrative texts and the means by which they are told. Initially, clues about the show were scattered around BYU campus and even placed in episodes themselves. I, however have self-diagnosed ADD and can't be bothered looking for clues, so instead I just got hooked into the narrative that the show has to offer. It has a great feel like LOST meets 24 meets The Phone Call ("How are the Oranges in California?")

At first the show was just a curiosity to me, but as the episodes wore on and on I became enveloped into the storyline and by the Season finale I was patiently waiting for episodes to appear.

The show is well made considering that it is made as a class project -- if only I could get my students to make something so intricate and involved. And I applaud Jared for running with an idea and being totally successful at it.

I would highly recommend that you all go and watch it. It is one of the most interesting things to happen in Mormon cinema, and I am glad to hear that it is getting recognition outside of the school (I wonder if it is getting more recognition outside of the school than in).

Here is a sample episode:

03: DETOUR from The Book of Jer3miah on Vimeo.



The whole season can be watched here

2 comments:

Andy said...

Kendra and I sat down a few weeks ago and watched the whole thing. We loved it! It was like 11pm when we started and could not stop watching! We hope there is a season 2...

Rob said...

They are planning on continuing next year, which is great news. I'm glad you guys liked it.